Call For Papers & Paper submissions guidelines
Call For Papers
Proposals for papers for Shaping the Future of News Media, the International Conference on Integrated Journalism Education, Research and Innovation, to be held in Barcelona from June 17th to 19th 2015 can now be presented.
“Shaping the Future of News Media” aims at covering new perspectives of media ecosystems and promoting interaction and discussion among academics, professionals and educators interested in fostering quality and innovation in the field of journalism as well as expanding research networks among scholars working in the field of digital journalism, media education and journalistic praxis.
The three-day event organized by the Integrated Journalism in Europe Consortium will include communications delivered by researchers from the international community, offering presentations by keynote speakers and state-of-the-art lectures. It will provide demonstrations in the field of newsroom software innovation along with new trends through Journalism teaching workshops.
The journalistic profession is facing a time of change, experimentation and restructuring. One of the principal driving forces behind the changes in newsrooms today is media convergence. European universities face the challenge of adapting their curriculum to fit the new educational, economic and professional environments. Higher education institutions should actively research and promote new dynamics and innovation in newsrooms in order to train a generation of “integrated journalists”. How are universities anticipating the changes that media convergence is bringing? What is the profile of the young trainee journalist? Is it the same one the industry is demanding?
Young versatile journalists should be competent to work cross-platform, to control production processes, to carry out news coverage with any tool carried in a backpack, and to edit material choosing the most appropriate language for each kind of information. They must have knowledge of how to address the audience, data visualisation and statistics and all without forgetting the basic principles of journalism. With this in mind, this conference aims to discuss the challenges that the profession is facing due to innovative practices and how these are transferred to journalism education.
This conference welcomes papers on these following thematic areas:
1. Challenges on new practices of news production
● Integrated newsroom: potentialities and experimentations.
● The socio-economic stakes linked to media convergence.
● Successful partnerships between journalism and IT.
● Ethical and deontological issues in digital news environment.
● The evolution of journalistic principles brought by technological change.
● Open source journalism, citizen journalism, participatory journalism... When the audience becomes active.
2. Challenges in new formats
● Transmedia and crossmedia reporting.
● Data analysis, storytelling and new genres in digital media.
● Social media as news platform.
● Software showcase: the latest tools and software in development.
● Methods and techniques for the study of new media.
● Best features using new formats.
3. Challenges on J-Education
● Schools as media labs.
● How universities face the challenge of the changing media market.
● J-Education trends and best practices.
● Social media in journalism education.
● Teaching with smartphones.
● Internationalization: programs and examples.
All the registered papers will be included in the proceedings of the conference. In addition, the better valued selection of papers will be published in a compilation book, provided that the authors are willing to make the necessary major improvements and meet the time frame set by the conference once his/her paper has been approved by the chief editor.
Paper submissions guidelines
The preferred format for all submissions is Microsoft Word. Please send your proposal as attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org and insert the title “Shaping the future of news media paper” as subject of the message.
The information should also contain the following:
● Author (s)
● Affiliation: University / research centre / media institution
● Abstract (up to 500 words)
● 4-6 keywords
● Text (up to 6.000 words)
● References using APA style
The font to be used is always Arial:
● Font size 12 for the text.
● Font size 14 black for titles and subtitles.
● Font size 10 for footnotes and for quotations within the text that exceed three lines.
● Font size 18 exclusively for the communication title which should be capitalized and centered.
Text and notes single-spaced, justified left and right. The spacing between paragraphs will be a blank line without indented paragraph.
Following the review process and after sending the whole paper the papers will be published in one of the following forms:
● Book (with ISBN).
● Conference proceedings (with ISSN).
● Proposed to acceptance in relevant Journals of Journalism.
The conference dates to remember are as follows:
New deadline, February 15th 2015
January 30th 2015
Deadline for abstract submission
March 15th 2015
Abstract acceptance notification
March 16th 2015
May 15th 2015
May 25th 2015
Deadline for paper submission
June 17th 2015
Start of Conference
Conference official language
The official language of the conference is English. Optionally, presentations and communications can be either in English or Spanish.
UNIVERSITAT POMPEU FABRA - POBLENOU CAMPUS
Carrer de Roc Boronat, 138
0818 Barcelona (Spain)
ORGANIZERS, PARTNERS, COLLABORATORS